do you need in order to conduct a failure investigation?
As our customer, you play many vital roles in our joint effort
to solve your materials problems:
* The background you provide on the materials, the
processing procedures, and on the past history of
problems can make a huge difference in the likelihood of
solving the problem in a timely and cost-effective
* Your description of the problem bears strongly on the
accuracy of our quote or estimate, so you need to have
some sense that many materials problems are far more
complicated than may seem at first to be the case and
provide us as reasonable a description as possible.
- Name the component with identification no.
- Name of the section of the plant/section/subsection.
- Description of the failure with photograph of failed component
of the system where failure has occurred. Close up view of the
- Materials of construction with standard.
- Original dimension of the component.
- Schematic representation of the process and position of the
- Mechanical drawing of the component.
- Detailed process description with importance on critical
- Operating /Design Pressure and Temperature.
- History of
failure in chronological order in case of repetitive failure.
- Service life of the component before failure and designed
- Test certification of the component
- Details of the repairs attended to component before the
- Evidence of upsets in the process parameters before the
- Alarm trips kept
in the system to avoid such failures.
- Modification alteration done to the system.
- Weather /temperature at the time of failure.
- Any other relevant details.
We who love
solving materials problems, we expect our clients to be willing
to face problems and not to ask us to cover them up. We always
have and always will refuse to do so. We will also remember that
your problems are proprietary.
Additional Reading Information
Background information form
Steps for failure analysis
Frequently Asked Questions